The cold seawater lapped at our ankles as we walked along the beach, drawing occasional gasps from me. Keith was quite oblivious to the cold; he had a much stronger constitution in that sense. The winds were decidedly chilly with winter fast approaching and for a moment my mind wandered to another time when winter meant more than just the coldness in the air. That made me suddenly melancholy.

A mental time check made me realize that Keith and I would be spending our fourth Christmas together. Well, not exactly together, but I’ve known Keith that long. The first Christmas we had just met, and he had already made plans to be with his family, so we could not be together. We fought just before our second so we spent that Christmas apart, and by the third he had already moved out. All we’ve had so far were failed Christmases, as far as our relationship went. So in a way, this year would be our first Christmas together.

I saw Keith look over at me and his hand tugged at mine. I smiled back, pulling him closer. He threw a furtive glance round us before moving obediently to my side. Not many people were mad enough to venture out to the beach at this time of the year. We both loved this little spot, where it was secluded and the winds were sharp enough to bite, and this side of the beach was practically ours. Here, in this little part of our world, at this particular time of the year, we were able to walk hand in hand in broad daylight, and kiss, and no one gave a damn.

We came back to our blanket, which had been weighed down with our picnic basket and a couple of rocks, and we both collapsed onto it, giggling like silly schoolboys as I wrapped my arms around Keith to keep us both warm.

‘Are we insane, Dusty?’ Keith asked happily.

‘Very likely … Hmm …’ I nuzzled Keith’s neck, breathing in deeply as a sudden urgent, knife-jacking wave of emotion hit me. My arms tightened around him, and he craned his neck to look back in surprise.

‘Dust?’

I whispered into his ears. ‘Do you know how much I love you?’

He leaned back against me, smiling knowingly, his eyes doing things to make my stomach clench. I reached into the picnic basket and brought out another thicker blanket – we were well prepared if nothing else – and threw it over us. Under its protective privacy, I pushed Keith down on his side, my arm pinning him firmly to the sandy surface while I snuggled up behind him.

‘Are you warm enough, darling?’ I asked.

‘Umm.’ Keith murmured contentedly and he let me turn his head around so I could kiss him. Full on the lips. My tongue pried his mouth open and explored him thoroughly, intimately. I threw one leg over him, imprisoning him. He opened up to me at once, responding to my advances. Our hands started to wander and to unbutton and unzip. Clothes were pushed out of the way. This would not be the first time we made love on this beach. We had done it before when we first met, when the thrill of new love made us daring enough to take silly risks. Those had been some wild times, mostly roller coaster rides with Keith.

Keith was panting by the time I released his mouth and I could feel my own mounting passion, with Keith’s hands working skillfully between our bodies. He leaned up and demanded another kiss. Our mouths locked once again, as we both urgently fondled and squeezed and stroked. I tore my mouth away to gasp for breath, and then I came. My hands tightened around Keith’s erection and I heard him exclaim and arch into me, thrusting his hips against my palm. Keith muttered a strangled ‘ah’, then he too climaxed.

He sank down next to me, closing his eyes with a contented sigh. I grabbed some tissues and wiped us off. By the time I was done, Keith was already half asleep. I pulled the thick blanket over us more securely, wrapped my arms around my sleeping lover, and leaned my chin against the back of Keith’s head. I listened to his steady breathing; my own eyes became drowsy, as my mind wandered back in time – remembering …

* * *