I felt Keith’s nudge and looked down at him. His sleepy eyes were barely open, and he was regarding me curiously through drowsy slits. ‘What’s wrong?’ he murmured. ‘You were miles away.’

‘Nothing, babe,’ I smiled at him. ‘We should get going – the sun is almost down. Are you quite frozen, darling?’

‘No …’ Keith stretched languidly. ‘I feel warm against you. I don’t mind the cold when you hold me. Do we have to go now? I love it here.’

I pulled him against me tighter, dropping a kiss on his head. ‘Me too. But it’s too cold to stay out any longer. Can’t have a frozen brat on my hands. Come on now, let’s pack up.’

We folded the blankets, collected our basket and headed back to the car, struggling a little against the whipping wind. It was a forty minute drive home and our hands strayed back and forth one another just to touch, to feel. We were snug and nicely warmed by the car heater, glad to be out of the cold. We were comfortable in our silence and in one another’s familiarity. And I was feeling horny again! There was something about cold days that made me want to snuggle up and make love.

By the time we arrived home, the sun was already gone. We entered the house by way of the kitchen, groping blindly for the light switch and stumbled laughingly against one another. We were pleased with the world and everything in it. It was one of those days which could very easily slip pass us as unremarkable, and yet made up the essence of life. The kind of day where if you really thought about it, you would realize how good it was, and you would treasure it as a perfect memory.

We had just put everything back in place – with much grumbling from Keith as he wanted to just sprawl and watch TV – when the phone rang.

‘I’ll get it,’ Keith announced immediately, using the excuse to disappear into the living room to answer the call. I tried to swat him as he skipped past me but he was too quick and my hand came up empty.

I grinned at him, and turned into the kitchen to prepare us some dinner. My stomach growled as I busied myself at the fridge, pulling out food containers and the ready made frozen rolls which I could simply pop into the oven. I heard Keith’s muffled voice in the distance, his occasional exclamations and excited laughter, and I felt happy

* * *